Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Godparents are great!

Nathan and I did something very special recently.  We are finally making plans to get the boys baptized, so we sat down to choose godparents for them.  To me, godparents are important.  They are people that are not only special to us, but they are people that we want to be special to our kids.  Role Models Friends.  Guides.

So, I want to take a quick minute to say something special about each of the boys' godparents and why we asked them to be a part of our family's life.  First, I'll say that each of our sons has a godparent from each side of our family - one from my side, one from Nate's side.  We didn't really plan it that way - it's just how it happened!  And each of the godparents is already family, most of them cousins.  I've heard it said that cousins are your first friends and I think that is absolutely true.  First and lifelong friends.  We didn't look outside our family for role models because we didn't need to.  They are each special to us and we're so happy that they all said YES when we asked them!  We are so lucky!

Noah's godfather is my cousin Jesse.  Actually, I guess Jesse is my second cousin or first-once-removed or whatever (his mom and I are first cousins!)  I know Jesse was surprised when I asked him, but I really think he will do a great job.  Jess is young - only 21 this year.  BUT, he's got his act together and he knows what is important.  This fall he will marry a beautiful, hilarious, awesome lady (sweet LindsayLou!) and we are so excited.  Jesse is getting ready to start a whole new chapter in his life and I want Noah to be a part of that.    He knows the value of family, which is hugely important to me.  In a weird way, I guess asking him to be Noah's godfather is kinda like an early wedding gift.  It's another way that he and Lindsay can journey together - by leading my little man.  Not just in faith, but in life, love and family.  They adore Noah and I am so thankful that Jesse said yes when I asked him.  Besides, I know both his mom and his soon-to-be-wife will kick his butt if he doesn't do a good job!!!  :-)

Jesse and LindsaySeriously, how cute are they?!?!?!?


Noah's godmother is Nathan's cousin Dena.  Dena is the same age as Nate, and they have lots of fun childhood memories to share.  As luck would have it, I went to high school with Dena and we all went to Ball State together.  Dena is a genuinely sweet, funny, loving woman.  She is an amazing mom and two of her kiddos are about as close in age as our boys.  She has always been there when we've needed an ear to listen, a shoulder to cry on, or a friend to jump up and down in excitement.  I can't tell you how badly I wish we lived closer so that we could make great memories more often.  We love her so much and are so grateful to her for her unfailing support of our family.

Noah and Dena, the first time they met.  (Noah looks SO little!)  Oh . . and yes, Noah's shirt says, "I cry when ugly people hold me."


Eli's godfather is Nathan's cousin Adrian.  I mentioned earlier that cousins are your first friends, and this is true with Nathan and Adrian.  Nate was fortunate to grow up with all his cousins close by and he and Adrian were pretty tight as youngsters.  Now, Nate and I have moved away so we don't get to see all the family as often as we wish.  But, those friendships and the memories you make are strong and stay with you to guide you through life.  That's how Nate feels about Adrian.  Adrian's wife Andrea is awesome, too - they both love our kiddos and we are thrilled that this fall they are going to have one of their own!

Adrian and Andrea


We chose my cousin April as Eli's godmother.  This was the EASIEST choice of all!  April and I have always been close.  Our moms are twin sisters.  My mom is her godmother; her mom is my godmother.  I was incredibly blessed when she asked me to be godmother to her oldest son, Carson (who I can't believe is already 9 years old!)  When I thought about who I wanted to be Eli's godmother, there was no other choice than April.

Me and April


Ben's godfather is my cousin John.  John is one of our favorite people, and has been for a long time.  The first time I brought Nathan home to meet my extended family before we were married, I asked him what he thought of everyone.  Nate was understandably overwhelmed, but without hesitation he said, "John is really cool - I like him A LOT.  I'd like to hang out with him some more."  That's a big compliment coming from my hubby!  To me, John is strength, loyalty, and family.  His road hasn't always been easy, but he has an amazing family with his wife Lauren and their sweet little girl Sophia, who is just a couple weeks younger than Ben.

John, Sophia, and Lauren with our Grandmother Elvera


Ben's godmother is Nate's aunt Denise.  Denise was like a second mother to Nate when he was little.  In fact, when Denise became pregnant with her first child, Nathan was SO upset.  He was only about 4 years old at the time, but he was heartbroken.   InconsolableCrushed.  He was so afraid that Denise wasn't going to love him anymore!  That first child turned out to be Adrian who is now Eli's godfather, so good thing it all turned out all right!  But seriously, Denise has always been supportive of Nathan, and of me since I joined the family.  She was a great help when we were dealing with the news of Ben's birth and struggling to find a way to bring him home.  She's very special to us.  (Plus, she gives the boys the best haircuts!)

That's Denise with Noah on our very first trip to visit.  Seems like so long ago! (I know Denise is going to kill me for putting her pic on here, but I just had to!)


How lucky are we to have such wonderful family to love, support, and guide our sweet boys???  Even from miles and miles away, I know that each of the godparents we've chosen will do an amazing job, and probably spoil the boys rotten along the way!  We are truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment