Saturday, January 29, 2011

Oh Christmas Tree . . . .

*this is a post I wanted to share during the holidays that I just didn't get around to.  It's been on my mind lately, so even though it's off-season, I still wanted to put it out there!



Some Christmas trees are formal - almost too pretty to touch

Some Christmas trees are "themed" - a great idea, but too much work for me!

Some Christmas trees are plain and simple - and beautiful in their own way

Some Christmas trees are funny or silly - that's a good fit for some people, but mine needs more heart


Our Christmas tree is like none of these - or maybe it has a little bit of each of them.  Nothing on our tree matches, but each ornament has a different memory attached.  Most of the memories are great ones, but there are a few bittersweet ones, too.  After we decorated ours this year (with all the soft/non-breakable/kid-friendly ones on the bottom, of course!) I snapped a few photos to share some of our tree's memories with you.



Mr. & Mrs. Claus
Nathan and I bought this one on our honeymoon!



Green Clown
This is one from my childhood.  My mom bought 2 clowns - one green and one blue for my brother and I.  You can't imagine the fights Ethan and I used to have about who's was who's.  (I got the better one!)



Needlepoint Stocking
This one is from Nathan's childhood.  He made several needlepoint ornaments with his great-grandmother.  This one is great - it's a good one to share with our boys now because they can't break it!!!



Porcelain Angel
This is my favorite.  This was our tree topper when I was very young.  It was always my job to brush her hair and "fluff her up" before we would put her on the tree.  She's too old and fragile to sit on top now, so she gets nestled in the branches.



Santa Stitch
Nate and I bought this one as a souvenir of our trip to Disney World in 2005.  We love the movie "Lilo and Stitch" -  and now it's one of Noah's favorites, too.  He had a very hard time keeping his hands off of this one!



Crescent Wooden Santa
I've always loved this Santa.  He's so pretty!  He was made by the parents of my high school best friend, Gretchen.  Gretchen's dad passed away a couple years ago, just before the holidays.  This one always makes me think of her and her family.  *hugs*



Jingle Bell Cardinal
This one makes me think of our years at Ball State and all our great friends we met there.  So thankful that they are still in our life after all these years.
CHIRP!!!


There are many, many more ornaments that have special memories attached, but these are just a few that struck me this year (and that I could get a decent picture of!)  I wish I was a better photographer.  That's one of those things I'll add to my bucket-list: photography classes!


I sincerely hope you all had a wonderful, blessed, and very MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment